How many of us have had or are experiencing a work environment that is either unpleasant or unfulfilling?
I have most certainly been there. I had an epiphany one day and realized that I was in complete control of my own environment. I had more control than what I previously realized. I am sure you’re probably thinking, well I can’t change my crazy mean boss or my messy overambitious co-workers. I can’t make my boss give me a promotion or a raise. Well, I say to you that those things may very well be true. However, you are in complete control of YOU!! It is a natural reaction to get down on someone else’s level when you are offended, hurt, let down, overlooked, etc. How about making them come up to your level because you refuse to come down to theirs. That comes with a level of confidence and faith that you demand better and expect better.
At what point do you take the initiative to change your situation. Now, I must warn you, it will call for some sacrifice and maybe even a bit of discomfort, but the payoff is far more rewarding than anything you would have to endure to get you there.
Here are some options:
- Start with changing your “stank” attitude, it’s counterproductive. Find one thing to be happy about and ride that wave until it’s time to clock out…even if it’s just to be thankful for having a job.
- Be of the mindset that your situation is temporary and you’re only passing through.
- Never allow anyone to change who you are by doing the “tit-for-a-tat” or becoming something you’re not.
- Understand your rights and entitlements on your job as well as available opportunities. That just may be your “in” to making a change in your job situation. Maybe there’s tuition assistance to take some classes. There may be an opening in another department where you can transfer or you may be entitled to additional training and resources.
- Do your research!!! When all else fails look for free webinars, on-line tutorials, free classes at your local library.
- Look to cross-train or outside opportunities to learn something new. There may even be a vacancy that needs someone temporarily until filled. You could also volunteer to take on other responsibilities.
- Help someone else do better and be better. It does wonders to be able to offer something useful and meaningful to someone else. It also helps you to exercise your leadership skills by imparting your knowledge or wisdom to help others.
- Believe your way into a better situation.
- Refuse to settle for the here and now when you have greater aspirations. A dream only becomes a reality when you WAKE UP!!!!!
So WAKE UP!! Your new life awaits you!!!!
Blessings and Inspirations,
But again, i am so sick and tired of having negative people who likes to bully and influence others ( among staff ) to fight back – procrastinate , Superiors .
All this been done by one staff, who has been working with the company for a long time.
Last year, the staff who i have mentioned above, got promoted 4 months after a MEMO was issued to her for insubordination. From the Management point, although the staff may have issues but that staff is still an ASSET to the company ,
Your situation at work is very unfortunate. However, you still have more power and control than what you may realize. Look into ways to improving your work experience and education to better equip yourself to move up and/or move out. You would be surprised just how learning a new skill or enhancing your current skills provide the motivation and courage to take what is rightfully yours. I pray you all the best in your career endeavors. Please visit my website, starmgmtconsulting.com in the “Ask Star Management” section and let me know how we may help you further your career goals and aspirations.
Blessings and Inspiration,
Working with people who always undermine you and planning to catch rid of you has always been the very challenging path for me, especially when you are only ONE year old working in a troupe.
There are times I feel like I want to give up and walk out… As I recall I don’t deserve to keep on punishing myself for not being able to jive with the culture of this company. And so there comes a time when I think, I need to show these people that I am a strong person .
Thank you for your post. May I suggest, instead of showing them how strong you are, show yourself. Sometimes we struggle in the work environment and other areas because we underestimate our potential and abilities. Most of the time how we feel about ourselves is based on the assessment of what others think. While criticism can be helpful we have to differentiate between constructive criticism and subjective opinions. Learn your strengths and enhance. Understand your weaknesses and work to improve them. Don’t ever give up on your dreams and aspirations. Once you do a self-assessment and know where you are that is where your real work begins. Please stop by my website, starmgmtconsulting.com and visit the “Ask Star Management” section and let us know how we can help you in your career endeavors.
Blessings and Inspiration,
Enjoyed your article concerning advice in work place. Glad I am retired but I am sure this is encouraging TO THOSE STILL WORKING!!! God bless!!!
Thank you so much for responding Mawcie. I pray it is a blessing for someone. Thank you for reading and do read again. Love you.
Blessings and Inspiration,